Monday, June 9, 2008

Happy Father's Day

I know it's early, but I wanted to wish 2 of the best fathers I know a Happy Father's day and to say thank you to both of them. My father-in-law, Pete and my husband, Bede. I have to give lots of credit to Pete. I really believe that because he was a good father to his children as they grew up, the boys learned how to be good fathers, good men. His daughters learned that they deserve respect and a man who would love them and be a good father to their children. I work every day with women who have never had a good man in their lives. They had abusive, negligent or absent fathers. They have moved on to choose abusive, negligent or absent men to father their children. None of these women know what a good man is. I have been very lucky. My dad was a good man. He loved me and made me feel as if I was capable of anything. He died too young.I was just 20 years old when he died. But I have had the privilege of having a great father-in-law for almost 30 years now. Pete is a great dad. He is always supportive and ready to lend a hand when needed. I know he and Joleen have had many oppurtunities to wonder(or shake their heads in dismay) at the choices we have made over the years. But they have never offerd their advice or opinion unless asked. I hope that we have made them proud. If we have it is in large part because they raised their son well. Bede is very much his father's son. Strong, loving, patient...( you know these Bolin boys marry women very much like their mother). Above all Pete is a man of great faith. He has passed that on to his children. I thank God on a regular basis for that. I know Pete prays or all of us every day. Bede prays for us every day too. Their faith is an inspiration to me, to most people who know them. It is no accident that Pete has produced such fine men. It's because he is such a fine man. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.

Prayer for Fathers
St. Joseph, guardian of Jesus and chaste husband of Mary, you passed your life in loving fulfillment of duty. You supported the holy family of Nazareth with the work of your hands. Kindly protect those who trustingly come to you. You know their aspirations, their hardships, their hopes. They look to you because they know you will understand and protect them. You too knew trial, labor and weariness. But amid the worries of material life your soul was full of deep peace and sang out in true joy through intimacy with God's Son entrusted to you and with Mary, his tender Mother. Assure those you protect that they do not labor alone. Teach them to find Jesus near them and to watch over him faithfully as you have done.

Pope John XXIII