Monday, September 29, 2008

The Spread...

I'm not talking about points in a football game. No, I'm talking about the 85,000+ rear ends filling Memorial Stadium last Saturday night. Every week we are proudly told that we have another sell out game. History making...indeed! Every week it seems like they squeeze more and more of us into the stadium. It's always tight. Too few inches allotted to rear ends that are bigger every year. This last game was the worst. The gentleman next to me was a BIG man, very tall and big all over. When he arrived well into the 1st quarter, he actually sat ON me as he tried to fit into his seat. Bede and I rent the stadium seats every game, because they are comfortable and they define our space. Well, usually defines my space. When I managed to wedge myself out from under the BIG MAN (BM), I stood up and looked down at my seat. Nearly 1/3rd of it was covered by BM. He was turned towards the woman he came with and did not seem to notice he had actually sat on me. Bede thought it was funny, me...not so much. But I did think BM would shift over a little when he noticed how little room he left me. BM never shifted. In fact, he sat on me several more times during the game. I do apologize to the fans behind me, because I ended up standing for most of the game. BM and his companion seemed blissfully unaware of anything around them, sometimes even the game. My evil stare did no good. The lump under him (my left leg) didn't seem to bother him.
I know that we all give up personal space when we attend a Husker game. I don't ask for lots of room. Heck, on those winter game days it's not bad being shoulder to shoulder with other fans to ward off the cold. But (BUTT) I do think sitting on the person next to you is taking it a butt too far.