Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it....

I'm BAAAAAAAACK !!!!! Thought you were rid of me, Huh? No such luck. I have been refreshing, relaxing, and trying to ignore much of the news lately. Not just because it makes me angry, depressed, crabby, and hard to live with but also makes me want to break things... So I tried to just let it all go. We had a great visit with Bede Jr. Home from Iraq for 2 weeks. Went to Texas to attend the wedding of our nephew, Joshua. Then just spent a week in Idaho with the Bolin clan, talking, eating, sitting, talking, and talking some more...with an occasional glass of wine thrown in for good measure. ( Maybe more than an occasional glass according to some of the neices.)

I have to admit, it was wonderful not really paying attention to the world and it's craziness for a while. BUT...(there is always a big BUT) before we left for Idaho, Michael Jackson died. We suffered through a few days of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the press and psycho fans. I did really believe it would all be over soon. But after a week away and 11 days after his death...he's still dead, and they are still wailing and weeping and proclaiming him a world icon. What will we do without him??? I suppose the same thing we did everyday before he died. Honestly, Michael Jackson was at one time a truly talented singer, dancer. But that was years ago and since then he degenerated into a weird, tragic man who liked children too much, did everything possible to leave his blackness behind and become white. He had 3 white children, married white women, had so many surgeries to change his facial features that his face was no longer the face of Michael Jackson, but the face of a white child/woman, whose nose was actually caving in on itself. He had no real friends, but people like Liz Taylor and Dr's who were so devoid of any moral compass that they would give him all the drugs he wanted as long as the money kept coming. He was sick! He was sick and rich, and there is the real tragedy. Money and fame, drugs, the inability and unwillingness of anyone around him to say "NO", or "That's not a good idea". Now I hear there is talk of putting him on a postage stamp. Amazing, are there no other role models, real heros, people who have made great choices, hard choices, the right choices that we can idolize?

Actually the more I think about it, the more it makes me want to scream. I just wish it had the same effect on other people. Days and days of coverage on all the news shows. I know there must have been real important things going on in the world, Marines fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan, the pope releasing his latest encyclical, North Korea firing off more missles...just guessing...
But a tragic, sick, drug addicted has been dies and the world stops...how incredibly sad!!!