Wednesday, July 29, 2009

we are our brother's keepers...

This afternoon I took my trash out from my office. As I neared the dumpster I saw a man lying on the sidewalk, feet in the street. His car was in the middle of the street running, door open. He was moaning, moving, and seemed to be in some sort of distress. I had no cell phone with me so I went back into the office and asked Fr. Kubat, (who is also a doctor) to come out with me and check this man out. I told him we may need to call an ambulance. Fr, Pat and I went back out to see what we could do. The man was not very coherent. He told us his name , but that was all he could manage. We called 911 and an ambulance was on the way. I left him in the good hands of my coworkers and the emergency crew. Later Pat told me the man had very low blood sugar and was minutes from slipping into a diabetic coma. How he managed to stop his car and get out is a mystery to all of us. He was very close to an intersection of a very busy main street. It could have ended very badly, but it ended well. Thank God for putting us in the right place at the right time.
This was the second time I had called an ambulance in a week. Last Thursday we had a client that passed out in the office.

Wonder how I can fit that into a resume........