Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The good theif...

I had a visit today from one of my former clients. She is a beautiful girl (young woman), she is a single mother of 2. She had her second child just as she was leaving my program, by a different man than her first child. When she came to us she was facing eviction, had a young child and was taking Care of her ill mother. She did not graduate from high school. It took us several months to convince her to get into a GED program...she was sure she would fail. She had no confidence. She had been abused. By step father, by husband. She was sure she was not worthy to succeed. She got into a GED program, she completed the program, she received her GED. She went on to Jr. college, she was sure she would fail. She graduated from the Jr. college with a combined 3.5 GPA. She is now a full time student at a 4 year college here in Lincoln working towards her bachelors in Social work. She is getting A's and B's. She is single still. She has begun to understand that she is in control of her life and she needs to make good decisions to continue her forward momentum. She is successful. She is happy, she is a good and loving mother. She makes me proud.

After she left I was talking to my wonderful co-worker, Elizabeth. I told her that I was happy that this former client was a success, but wished there were more of them. Many of my clients do not do as well. Elizabeth told me about the good thief. The thief who was crucified with Jesus. He professed his faith in Jesus Christ and Jesus told him, "This day thou shalt be with me in paradise." Elizabeth said Jesus would have died for just that thief. Jesus died for each one of us. One of us.
She made me realize that small successes are still successes. All the sacrifice in the world is worth it if someone "gets it".
Thanks to Elizabeth. She sees the world through the Lord's eyes. She very often opens my eyes as well.
As we enter Holy week remember that Jesus died for each one of us. So that we may live for each other.
Have a Blessed Easter.