Friday, February 3, 2012

Easy, simple,DIY chalkboard door.

This is the door to our finished basement. It is right off the kitchen. It is (was) a cheap hollow core door. I hated it. So I decided to make it a giant chalk board. If it didn't work, I would just have to buy a new door... It worked! Here is the door before.
I taped up the hinges and the knob.
It had to dry for a couple of hours before the second coat. I was in a hurry because yesterday was close to 60 degrees and today we knew it would be colder with rain. The paint directions specified not to paint in high humidity. Tomorrow we have snow, so it had to get done yesterday afternoon!
Second coat on...

Hung up and looking good. Directions also said to wait at least 24 hours before using it as a chalk board. Good thing we went out last night, patience is not my strong suit. We had tickets for Mamma Mia on stage at the Lied Center...Loved It! "Mamma mia, here I go again, my my how can I resist you"... that's been playing in my head all day!
Got home from work today and still waited...it hadn't been quite 24 hours. But then I got the call from work. We will be closed tomorrow due to the 10+ inches of snow we are supposed to get. Just had to celebrate a day off! This was a very easy project. It took just 1 can of chalkboard spray paint. I had the tape on hand and of course the door! The paint can says it can be used on almost any surface. I am eyeing things around the house. Maybe a glass jar with a band of chalkboard paint to be used as a changeable label... or perhaps the bottom of a mirror, so I can write notes to the next person who uses the bathroom. "Good morning sunshine", "you look fantastic this morning", or "didn't sleep well last night?" Might be fun!