Monday, April 23, 2012

Bottle tree, the beginning.

Last year our evergreen tree in the back yard died. We cut most of it down, leaving about 15 feet of trunk and 2 main branches. It's kind of sculptural and I wanted to keep it. But it needed something. So it has become our version of a bottle tree. They were (are?) popular in the South and have been odd roadside attractions for years. Bede helped cutting dowels and drilling holes into the tree. He had a difficult time with the randomness of it all. He like things neat, orderly and symmetrical. I do not.He still thinks I am crazy and doesn't get it at all, but worked hard nevertheless. Now I need to beg, borrow and scrounge for colorful bottles. Unfortunately the wine I prefer comes in green or clear bottles. I have been saving bottles for a year now with this in mind. I will need to find some other colors. Some red, blue, yellow would be awesome. The plan is to plant some sort of climbing vine at the base of the tree to weave between the bottles, maybe even flower in the spring. This is just the beginning...


Oh, and the skull is from Bede Jr. from Texas. A gift for his mother one year. I love it! How many moms can say they got a skull as a present? It too has been in the yard in various locations waiting for the "right" spot. I think it has found a home.