Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bede and I just returned from the funeral home. Visitation for Adam was today. We sat and prayed and said goodbye. What I came away with was an overwhelming sadness. Death is the only thing we are sure of, and yet it always so difficult to come to terms with. The death of such a young man is so shocking. I struggle to find the words to express what I feel. I have felt it before, and I know I will feel it again. It is so physical. Sorrow hurts. Sorrow for a life so short. Sorrow for his family.
Sorrow for his friends.

Many friends,

many tears,

much sorrow.

I see how hard it is for Andrew and his friends to understand, to believe. They are man/boys... grown up, yet still kids in school, and until now untouched by such sadness. They have done some wonderful things to deal with this tragedy. Adam liked to wear t-shirts with a tuxedo type shirt printed on the front. He had a few. We have several photos of him in one. His friends decided to have some made up, and on the back it says Adam McCabe!!! (Adam evidently signed his name with 3 exclamation points). Under his name it has the year '09. Adam's mother saw Andrew in his and asked for one for herself. She also asked Andrew and 2 other of his friends to be pallbearers.
She asked if they would wear the t-shirts.
Adam's favorite band was the JV Allstars. They held a concert in his memory on Friday night. The band is a local one, with members from high school. They have known each other for years. That's how they have been dealing with the sadness. They have been sharing it with each other. They have been sharing stories of good times with Adam. They have been spending time together. They have been doing the things that Adam would be doing. I am impressed...I would consider myself blessed to have such friends.