Wednesday, March 25, 2009


I think I may take Joanna's advice and stop watching the news. She says she enjoys living in her "Happy little world" and the news just makes her depressed. She's right. But I can't do it. I must watch it all, like a train wreck in slow motion. This is the 1st time in my 52 years that I am really fearful for my country. It causes anxiety and worry. I do not have confidence in our current administration, that they know what they are doing. Even worse, that they do know what they are doing and are selling us down the river. Today Geithner said he is open to the Chinese suggestion of a world currency...WHAT THE....? Is he serious? Billions, trillions, so many numbers, so many zeros. I watched President Obama yesterday, I don't feel better, I don't feel confident, I don't fell like he gets it. I think Americans all over the country are beginning to understand the importance of experience. The presidency of the United States of America is not the place to learn on the job. It is becoming very apparent that Obama is in over his head. If the president of the US is in over his head then the rest of us are crab food on the bottom of the sea.

I like Capitalism.
I like the rewards of working hard.
But...
I'm afraid that the people getting the rewards may not be the ones working hard.
I'm afraid the those who understand personal responsibility will be responsible for those who don't.
I'm afraid that as we lower standards and take away the incentive to work hard and do well more people will do less and expect more from the gov't.


I read a quote from a protester in San Francisco this week. She said: "Jail the rich, help the poor..." I guess she thinks it's a crime to work hard and be successful. I guess she doesn't understand that successful people have businesses that employ other people, they pay salaries, they put dollars into retirement accounts, they help pay for health insurance, and they pay lots and lots of taxes. Taxes that fund food stamps, subsidised housing, Medicaid, Aid to Dependent children, WIC, subsidised bus passes, state operated job training, GED classes...the list goes on and on. They also are responsible for much of the charitable donations to non-profit agencies in the country. Agencies that feed the hungry, house the homeless, give free clothing, furniture, household items...
Do recipients believe there is just a big room somewhere in the government? A big room just filled with money? Money that just magically appeared?
I got news for them...
There are people who work hard for that money!

I'm glad there are rich people. I wish I was rich. Back in the day most people had goals of being successful and making enough money to live well. Why is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing! It's a great thing!
It's the American dream.
It's the reason thousands of immigrants still come to the US every year.
It's the reason that millions of people have entered the US illegally as well.
It's a great country.
Still.
It's our country and we need to work and pray hard to keep it that way.