Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dignity

Yesterday as I walked out of the office building on my way to a meeting I saw a man walking into the office. I remember him because he was a really large man, probably about 400 lbs or so and he was having trouble walking from the parking lot to the front door. I said hi to him as we passed and went on about my business. I didn't give him much more thought.

Today 2 of my co workers came into my office to chat and they told me a story. They told me about a man who came in yesterday to ask for help with his electric bill. He was a very large man. (I remembered the man from the day before). They told me that he explained he was HIV positive. His illness caused him to retain 60lbs or more of fluid. He was very ill and unable to work.

Because his first language was
Spanish, our emergency services coordinator asked one of our Spanish speaking staff to help translate. As they helped him fill out a form, one of the questions was his date of birth. He told them that it was his birthday today! The 2 staff members started to sing Happy Birthday to him. He began to weep. He had no family. No one who cared enough about him to celebrate his special day. He was so touched that these 2 strangers from Catholic Social Services cared about him as a human being. Catholic Social Services was able to pay for his utility bill, so his lights were not shut off. But I think he left with so much more. He left with the dignity that all people deserve. He left with the knowledge that someone believes he is important, that he is a child of God.
Mother Teresa talked often about the poverty of people who have no one who loves them. Poverty is not always about the lack of money or the things money can buy. It is the poverty of the soul, the lack of faith and love that is the worst kind of poverty.
That is what makes Catholic social Services different from other social service agencies. We love people. Because of our faith, because God asks us to love each other. It's not always easy, we have to work at it every day.
I am so proud to work with these people. People who care and love and make that extra effort to serve people with the dignity everyone deserves. It is truly God's work.