Friday, January 20, 2012

Grandma? Grandma!

I have been asked by many, since hearing the news that we are about to be grandparents, how do I feel about it? Well...if you had asked me 8 months ago, I would have told you that I was much too young! I would have told you that "grandma" is really an awful title, nothing glam about it, brings to mind a gray haired, stooped little old lady...

Then I found out my daughter is pregnant. Grand baby #1 is due in late Feb. Immediately I became a grandma! No qualms, no pretense that I am of the proper age or not. ( I have been old enough to be a grandma for many years). I am going out to stay with them nearer the due date. I can't wait to hold that baby in my arms. It is indeed a very new emotion I feel, knowing my daughter is soon to be a mother. She has been an amazing  mom to be. Very little complaining, very calm, probably because she has no idea really what is to come. To know she will soon feel that same unconditional, boundless love for her child that I felt for her, for all my children, still feel for them, makes my heart swell.
I remember well, when I found out I was pregnant with her. She was our 2nd child. I wondered how would it be possible to love another child as much as I loved the 1st. How would it be possible to make room in my heart that was so full, bursting with that love. As all mothers of more that 1 child know, there is room, there is infinite room. The minute I saw her I fell in love all over again. That's the wonderful thing about LOVE. It is boundless. It is limitless. It multiplies.( Kind of like compound interest.) It just keeps on growing.I have been surprised that there is still room in my heart for more of that love. I feel that same limitless love for my grand daughter to be. I already know she will be special, perfect, the best grand baby ever! Until the next one comes along and then we will have another special, perfect, best and so on and so on and so on...

Can't wait to see this new little member of the family. Can't wait to watch her parents, a couple, become a family. Can't wait to welcome her into this world, to love her, cherish her and watch her grow into a wonderful person, like her mother. God Bless baby, mom and dad. Thank God for the opportunity to be a grandma.