Friday, October 5, 2012

Painting the cabinets and trim...

And so it begins. I have been thinking for a few years about painting the wood trim and kitchen cabinets in our home. Because we have lots, I mean lots of wood trim, I have been unready to make the commitment. No longer! This summer we visited Jody and Mike in Ca. They have painted their kitchen cabinets and oak trim in the adjoining family room. It looks great! Even after we returned home, I still just "thought" about it. I know I will hate myself, I know I will complain, whine, wish I had never started the project. I know this because I have a short attention span. I'm great at short jobs, I like immediate, or at least quick gratification. I know this will not be quick, will not be easy, will not be fun. I also know that I really want the oak painted. Our home is 25 years old. Totally 80's. That's great if you're watching MTV, but not so great in the kitchen. We've updated bathrooms, added granite countertops, new sink, new paint, etc. But the oak keeps it 80's. So I commit! The painting shall begin. Today I went to the paint store and browsed whites. There must be 2000 whites! I picked a few that I thought might be good. Check it out...
Really! I laughed out loud when I saw them in the kitchen! Does it really matter? NO! Any one of them will be fine, as they are all almost identical. Swiss Coffee, Dove White, Marble white, Fresh cotton, White light, Clean white, Creme Fraiche. I probably will just ennie meenie minee moe it. I'm sure not going to agonize over which of these colors will work. I'll show Bede tonight and ask him to choose his favorite... Then I'll tell him I like the "white one". Hopefully this weekend I will get the cabinets cleaned and prepped for painting. Wish me luck...I'm going in!